Tragic! Real Cause of Yaba Market Fire Incident Revealed

INSIDEMAINLAND– Some traders at the Tejuosho Market in Yaba, Lagos Mainland have lamented the fire that ravaged their stalls on Tuesday destroying goods and machines worth a billion naira.

According to witnesses, the fire started from the generator stand at the back of the plaza.

The Yaba Goshen Clothing Plaza, also known as The Kitchen, was destroyed by the fire incident.

INSIDEMAINLAND gathered that the stalls and machines were reduced to scraps and ashes.

Several stall owners were seen carrying the burned remains of their machines, while others cried with their hands on their heads and sympathizers consoled them.

Godswill Okorie, the plaza’s owner, disclosed that the entire structure burned down in less than 30 minutes.

He said, “I was called immediately after the fire started. I got here within five minutes and in less than 30 minutes, the plaza was down. Everyone ran out because they were trapped. The whole plaza went down, but no life was lost.

“This place is big and houses over 1,000 people every day. The open space was a hall divided into small stalls and shops and we had 150 stalls that contained about six to eight traders per stall. Six people mean six industrial machines. We produce clothes and sell them to boutiques in Lagos and outside Nigeria. From 5 am every day, this place is already booming. We even sell to the United States of America. We have lost over a billion naira. One of my tenants here just bought two machines that cost N1.7m. All the materials, machines, and money are scraps now.”

A trader, Chukwu Oje, who had two shops and nine workers, said he did not know where to begin again.

He said, “This happened around 3 pm. I need assistance; this is the only place I earn my living and now everything is gone. I do not even know where to start. Let people come to our rescue.”

Another victim, Mercy Emenike, who spoke amid tears, said her customers from Liberia sent her materials that she had sown 200 clothes, adding that the fire destroyed both the sown clothes and the materials.

She said, “I have nothing to do, I only look unto God and encourage myself. My God!  I have lost almost a million in my shops, with cash. Three machines worth N600,000 and my generator.”

She blamed their lack of regular power supply for the fire.

“People buy fuel and store it because we work 24 hours here. If we had a regular power supply, people would not store fuel and this would not have happened,” she added.

Another trader, Chijioke Oko, said he lost over a million to the fire.

“The government should come to our rescue,” he pleaded.

Comments

comments

Uncategorized

MUST READ! Sanwo-olu brags about High Level of Security in Lagos

INSIDEMAINLAND – The Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has said the state recorded no bank robbery in the last three and a half years due to the efforts of the administration. Sanwo-Olu made the call on Thursday during his keynote address at the 16th annual town hall meeting on security organized by the Lagos […]

Read More
Government My Area

Japa Effect: LASG Tasks Residents on Collaboration at Apapa Hospital

INSIDEMAINLAND– The Lagos State Government has stated that it will require citizen support to renew the Apapa General Hospital infrastructure and expand service delivery. The Lagos state Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, stated this on Wednesday during a stakeholders’ meeting at the hospital residence in Apapa, Lagos Mainland. Abayomi, who was represented at the […]

Read More
Government

MUST READ! No Boat Trips at night in Lagos

INSIDEMAINLAND– The Lagos State Government has reiterated that the law prohibiting boat operators from operating on the state’s waterways after 7 p.m. every day remains in effect. This was revealed in a joint statement released on Wednesday by the Director-General of the Lagos Safety Commission, Mr. Lanre Mojola, and the General Manager of the Lagos […]

Read More