INSIDEMAINLAND – Following the fire incident that gutted shanties at Ebute Metta on Wednesday, January 5, 2022, eyewitnesses have revealed the cause of the fire.
Punch reports that the fire started Wednesday morning at Kano by Coates Street, near Oko baba sawmill.
The Councillor representing the affected area in the Lagos Mainland Local Government, Saka Olamilekan, estimated the number of affected shanties as 2,000.
He disclosed that the fire started from the room of a resident who was cooking.
Olamilekan said, “At least 2,000 plank houses will be affected. Also, three-building built with blocks were burnt. The fire started a few minutes past 10 am from the room of a resident who was cooking. The residents attempted to put out the fire but their efforts weren’t successful.
“I recommend that when they are rebuilding again, there should be more spaces between the buildings,” he concluded.
The Director, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Mrs Adeseye Margaret said, “Just as residents settle down after the yuletide celebrations, an unfortunate fire incident was reported earlier today at Kano Street, Oko-Baba, Ebute-Metta around 11:04 hours.
“Following the report, representatives of Sari Iganmu and Ilupeju Fire Stations of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service arrived at the location and discovered that make-shift commercial shops engaged in trading and stocking of wood were ablaze.
“However, the fire was doused through the deployment of water and fire-fighting chemicals.
“To curtail the fire from spreading to adjoining streets, fire-responders cordoned off the area, just as they called for backup from other emergency responders.
“The public is hereby assured that the fire has been curtailed from spreading and poses no further threat to life and property.”
“No loss of life or injury was been reported during the fire incident” she concluded.