Home > My Area > #JusticeForOmolara: How Beachland Hospital, LASEMA Negligence Killed Orphan Girl – Lady Alleges

#JusticeForOmolara: How Beachland Hospital, LASEMA Negligence Killed Orphan Girl – Lady Alleges

A lady known as Ayomide, on Saturday accused Beachland Specialist Hospital, located at plot 16, Al-Firdaus Estate, off Lagos – Ibadan Expressway, Arepo, of unprofessional conduct and negligence resulting in the untimely demise of her friend Omolara Omoyajuwolo.

In a series of tweets from her Twitter handle (@charah_xx), Ayomide said her deceased friend was declared dead on arrival at Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), where the doctor at Beachland Specialist Hospital, Arepo had referred them after several hours at the Specialist Hospital.

She said “They placed her head on my laps and asked me to raise my laps, the windows were winded down as they advised, When we got to LASUTH, the doctors at the medical emergency announced Lara dead and they filled a form ‘BID’ (Brought in dead) Lara died! She died on my lap and in my arms.

“Lara’s health was obviously mismanaged. Lara doesn’t joke about her health, she went to the hospital herself, it’s a pity it had to be Lara, my friend, Lara could be me tomorrow, Lara could be you.

“The health system needs reform. Health mismanagement and negligence of the health workers in Beachland Specialist Hospital Arepo killed my friend Omolara Omoyajuwolo. There was no ambulance, there was no supporting oxygen, and there was no nurse”. She lamented.

The deceased

Miss Omolara Omoyajuwolo, until her death, was an orphan who worked at the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), as a call center representative, INSIDEMAINLAND gathered.

How it happened

According to Ayomide, Omolara had been feeling ill and had gone to the hospital (Beachland Specialist Hospital, Arepo) where she was diagnosed with Ulcer and Malaria.

She said Omolara confirmed to her that after the test had been conducted and her health status was revealed to her, she was given an injection after which she dashed back home.

After which she got home, she was feeling anyway better as the situation got worse as she was sweating profusely and vomiting.

“My friend Lara feeling some type of way (ulcer attack as she claimed in her status) she went to the hospital, tested positive also to malaria (according to her) & was given some injections… and then she went back home.

“I got to Lara’s place at past 10. She had tried to eat and vomited, she was sweating profusely. I started to clean, she vomited again. I went to her neighbor so we could go back to the hospital since she wasn’t getting better, she was breathing hard too” Ayomide said.

It was gathered that Ayomide and Omolara’s neighbor at about past 10 pm rushed her back to the same hospital (Beachland Specialist Hospital, Arepo), where she took the injection and met the same doctor that attended to her, as she was shortly admitted.

“We got to Beachland Hospital and she saw the same doctor that attended to her initially, I excused them but I heard him say “I’ll have to admit you” I dashed back to her to pick stuff that she’d be needing. Before I got back she had been taken to the wards.

“I met a nurse there giving her some injections through her hands (the way they give drips) Lara was so uncomfortable, she kept on insisting that she couldn’t lie down because she’s not breathing well. “How am I supposed to sleep when I’m not breathing well?”

It was gathered that after several treatments, Omolara was not in any way better as she continuously complained in agony, as a device was placed on her thumb to stabilize her.

“After a while, they left, they put a device on her thumb and asked me to be monitoring it and call for attention once it reads 90. She wasn’t getting any better rather she was getting worse, I went to complain, a nurse came again n gave her another injection.

“Lara after the injections (I was told she’d sleep off and I should keep checking the device on her thumb).

Omolara’s friend noted that after a while, the device placed on her thumb stopped as Omolara fell into an unconscious state and she was placed on oxygen.

“The device later stopped working, I detected the battery was low, I didn’t meet any nurse on her wards floor, I went to the floor before hers and complained, I started to look for the doctor. When I got back to the ward Lara had already sat where I was, she couldn’t really talk.

“Somehow, Lara lost consciousness, another doctor came in and said she (the new doctor) didn’t know it was this kind of case (meaning it’s critical) and then asked that she’s placed on oxygen, there was reluctance to get that oxygen.

“I made efforts myself at some point I went to the emergency room to get the oxygen myself, I almost lifted it alone before one of the nurses came to give me aid and eventually another collected it from me, she was placed on oxygen.

“They asked me questions about her health history. How would you admit a patient without asking her those things initially? She has a card that shows she has been using that hospital since 2019…I called her siblings (they both don’t live in Lagos/Ogun). Lara was an orphan.

“Lara doesn’t smoke, she doesn’t have Asthma, she only had episodes of chest pain alongside her back (that aggravates from the ulcer attack) the only thing I know is her chest pain from aggravated ulcer after her back) fast forward to almost 1 am, they said they need to refer her.”

After several attempts had failed to revive Omolara, the doctor advised she’s referred to another hospital.

It was said that Beachland Specialist Hospital didn’t make their ambulance available and Ayomide immediately called for help on phone and also made a tweet for help as well.

“They said I need to get someone to come and pick us up, as their ambulance is not available till later that morning. I said I’ll wait because it was already midnight. They said the oxygen they have can’t last up to three hours (they started touching the cylinder to demonstrate emptiness)

“They declared her BP low and hurried me again, I immediately started to call for help, I made a tweet to call for help (that I later deleted after I found someone) phone calls and all. Took her phone and took numbers from it. It’s already around 2:30 am”.

Sequel to the arrival of a vehicle that will take them to LASUTH, Ayomide noted that in her bid to seek help, she placed a call to her workplace Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (Lasema), where she works as a call center representative.

She said “they said they were scared that the ambulance wouldn’t be able to come over since it’s not on their call record”

It was midnight already, approaching the early hours of the next day and they were still waiting for a referral letter to take Omolara to LASUTH.

“I approached the first doctor that attended to her as he was writing the referral letter and tried to ask something he didn’t respond and he said I should allow him to focus on the referral note (he wrote it more than once, he was being careful I guess).

Ayomide stated that after which she got the referral letter, as they were about to go, the nurse at Beachland Specialist Hospital took back the Oxygen.

“I thought they would let us go with the oxygen, a nurse only brought it to the car door and put it in her nostrils for a while, I even thought she was going go with us. They left us and told Lara’s neighbor to move with the “highest speed”.”

Sadly, Omolara died in Ayomide’s arms as she was declared dead by doctors at LASUTH.