It’s been 365 days since the industrious, politically sagacious and progress-driven people of Kosofe Federal Constituency of Lagos State willingly and willfully gave me another four years mandate as your man to advance your cause at the federal level, having made a very laudable impact during my first tenure between May 29 – 2015 and June 10, 2019.
Backed with that convincing scorecard of a successful tenure made possible by your goodwill and support, I proceeded to the hallowed chamber of the National Assembly to represent you without delay.
If we all cast our minds back to that Tuesday, June 10 date, which also saw the emergence of another Lagosian as Speaker of the Federal House of Representatives in the person of Rt. Hon. Femi Gbajabiamilla, I began the new tenure of remarkable progress with a focus on my commitment and loyalty to the people of Kosofe Federal Constituency, Lagos State and the All Progressives Congress (APC) alongside my colleagues traversing the length and breadth of the country to seek support for the then-impending victory for the people of the Southwest geo-political zone and Lagos State in particular.
As your Representative with a deep knowledge of the legislative terrain, strengthened with your support, we set the ball rolling without further delay.
Thus today, despite the raging difficult challenges which the tenure has witnessed, capped by the ugly and life-threatening implosion by the COVID-19 pandemic, the people of our Constituency from available data and responses have once again applauded our collective, hugely remarkable accomplishments so far. As the new tenure progressed amidst the change in leadership of the House, I remain inspired by your understanding and patience of the legislative Arm and its very rigorous, consensus – building and inter-agency relationship moves to make things happen for our people.
Thus after the settling down of various Committees which took some time, in December 2019, a number of youths in our very active Constituency were trained on Computer Application Technology through the National Human Rights Commission (NHR), given cash gifts, empowered with Computers hardware and Printers to aid further their knowledge of all they have been taught in their respective areas of interests in ICT.
Also in March 2020: 5 Youths were trained on Computer by the National Human Rights Commission and given, cash gifts and empowered with computers and printers.
March 2020: 200 Youths and Women were given Vocational Training, given Cash gifts and Empowered in collaboration with the Nigeria Export Processing Zone Authority (NEPZA).
April 2020: witnessed the Construction of an ultra-modern, fully equipped ICT Centre in Ojota Senior Secondary School, Ojota, Lagos. It has always been my dream our teeming Youths to be fully prepared for greater challenges in an ICT-driven world of today.
LEGISLATIVE ACTIVITIES: As expected, my representation of the people of my Constituency and Nigeria should better the lots of the growing population with its attendant challenges. Thus I came up with the following Bills and Motions of National Importance.
- Electronic Health Records Bill.
- National Minimum Wage (Amendment) Bill.
- THE BORDER CLOSURE AND ITS ATTENDANT CONSEQUENCES – THE REALITIES OF A DEMYSTIFIED AILING SECTOR FOR ECONOMIC REVAMP.
- THE NEED TO CONDEMN THE RISING CASES OF SEXUAL VIOLENCE AND OTHER SOCIAL VICES AGAINST WOMEN AND POLICE BRUTALITY: JUSTICE FOR UWA OMOZUWA, TINA EZEKWE, AND OTHERS
- PERENNIAL FLOODING IN PARTS OF LAGOS STATE – THE NEED FOR URGENT GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION
- FANTA, SPRITE, OTHERS: NON INSCRIPTION OF THE REQUISITE WARNING ON BOTTLES/CONTAINERS AND THE CONTINUED EXPOSURE TO HEALTH HAZARDS
- WORLD WATER DAY – IMPLEMENTING AND HARNESSING THE FULL BENEFITS OF THE NATURAL RESOURCE
- CORONAVIRUS: THE NATION’S PREPAREDNESS TO TACKLE THE LOOMING EPIDEMIC AND THE APPREHENSION OF THE AVERAGE NIGERIAN.
- OUTRAGEOUS NUMBER OF VOID AND REJECTED BALLOT PAPERS – THE NEED FOR THE INDEPENDENT NATIONAL ELECTORAL COMMISSION (INEC) TO EMPLOY A STRATEGY TO REDUCE THESE WASTED VOTES DURING ELECTIONS
- THE GLOBAL RAMPAGING CORONAVIRUS DISEASE 2019 (COVID-2019): AN URGENT NEED TO SHUT DOWN ACTIVITIES IN THE NATION TO FORESTALL THE SPREAD IN NIGERIA.
- INCESSANT LOCAL FLIGHT DELAYS AND CANCELLATIONS WITHOUT NOTICE – A CALL ON THE AUTHORITIES FOR URGENT INTERVENTION URGENT NEED TO CONTROL AND STOP THE ESTABLISHMENT OF NEW UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA UNTIL YEAR 2030
- URGENT NEED TO DIRECT THE NIGERIAN COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION (NCC) AND OTHER RELEVANT AGENCIES TO INVESTIGATE UNWARRANTED DOUBLE (VAT) CHARGES PLACED ON NIGERIAN SUBSCRIBERS BY SERVICE PROVIDER OUTFITS.
- WORLD FOOD DAY – THE NEED FOR IMPLEMENTATION AND A MORE PARTICIPATORY INVOLVEMENT OF NIGERIA IN THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE.
While all of the above are stated, it will interest you all my respected constituents, as believers in the pact of promises, I made not let you down. I have since being in the saddle this time again, ensured that over 100 individuals have been assisted with means of livelihood through the provision of the following:
- Various Financial Assistance to Students from the Constituency at all levels up to the Nigerian Law School without discrimination.
- Community Water Project (Omojuwa Estate, Kosofe, Mile 12) immediately after the 2019 elections.
- Construction of An ICT Centre In Ojota Senior Secondary School)
- Distribution of hand sanitizers and other safety equipment to Mile 12 International Market.
- Distribution of Covid-19 Food Palliatives (the 4th in the series being the Stay Safe/Ramadan Intervention Package in which well over 2,500 indigent Constituents were beneficiaries.
As your promise keeper in whom you have a strong faith and with the oath of not letting my people down during the heat of the COVID-19 crisis, I undertook a series of both visible and personal interventions to people from the Constituency and beyond. This is the inspiration you all gave me when our party and I sought your support during the last general elections.
It should also be of note that some Communities within the Constituency have benefitted from my Transformers donation and support as others await their turn in due course. Because of your solid stand by the mandate given me, boreholes have been donated to some parts of the Constituency.
To oversight the activities of those mandated to oversee the welfare of Nigerian Youths, I was appointed the Chairman of the Ad-Hoc Committee to prod and investigate into the operations and activities of the N-Power Programme. An assignment that was clinically carried out without fear or favour but to the general improvement of the programme. Thus putting my Constituency and her people on the front burner of National Affairs.
For me, as your Representative and Promise Keeper, my utmost priority is to keep, protect and deliver on the mandate of positive representation. So that together, my constituents will be proud recipients of the dividends of democracy they have continually enjoyed since 1999.
As a party man, I am proud to have you as Constituents with total and unalloyed loyalty to our great party. We must forge ahead with one voice and a strong focus on the mission to do our people and the nation proud.
At regular intervals, my promise remains to re-evaluate my performances in the best interest of our party and all our leaders across the board, hoping for a better, united and progressive Constituency.
Permit me once again to thank you all for your endless support and encouragement to me and our Representatives at all levels. While we have today with us, tomorrow is assured to be a better day. Despite all our differences, we must think of love for our fellow men and the most vulnerable amongst us. This is the ultimate reason for our existence.
As we mark this 365 days of grace, loyalty, support, understanding, commitment, and promises kept, please find it pleasing in your heart to appreciate one another as members of the same Constituency.
Thank you, and God Bless you all.
Hon. (Prince) Rotimi Agunsoye MHR