by Paul Agada
Reports has it that a Beninese domestic worker resident in Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos Mainland committed suicide, after she allegedly drank a pesticide a few days to her scheduled trip back to her hometown in the Republic of Benin to see her parents.
It was learnt that the 18-year-old had worked for a certain Akinrinmade family for two years before her tragic demise.
She usually assisted with house chores at their residence, and keeps sales record at her boss’ shop located at No. 31A Oyeleke Street, Alausa, Ikeja.
Punch reported that the deceased had on the day of the incident, closed in the shop for the day, allegedly left the house and did not return.
Yinka Akinrinmade, Abigail’s boss son told PUNCH Metro that her disappearance was reported at the police station the following day.
Recounting the incident after Abigail was seen in his mother’s apartment the following day, Yinka said; “Abigail refused to explain where she was coming from; so, my mother told Adefolami (A fellow worker) to lock her outside, but Abigail ran into one of the rooms, locked herself up and refused to open the door. So, the lady sought neighbours’ help and when they forced the door open, she was seen lying on the floor. Foamy substances were coming out of her mouth and the odour of an insect repellent, DD Force, was perceived.
“We quickly gave her palm oil and water and took her to a health centre at Alausa, where she was given first aid and referred to the LASUTH. When we got there, she was attended to immediately and it was in the process of trying to revive her that she died. She had stayed with us for two years and had just a week left to go and see her parents when she drank the substance.
“The police came and while inspecting the scene of the incident, they took the substance away. At the station, her brother, Isaac, confirmed that that was not the first time that she would take such a substance. The family took the corpse away and we paid all the bills, but later, about 10 members of Abigail’s family came back to collect her salary and belongings, because they said her corpse would not be buried if they didn’t get the money and we paid them.”
Reacting to the development, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Bala Elkana, said the incident was a case of sudden and unnatural death, adding that a bottle of DD Force insect repellent was found beside her on the floor with foamy substances coming out of her mouth.