Home > My Area > IN SURULERE: Again, another resident dies of electrocution from fallen electric cable

IN SURULERE: Again, another resident dies of electrocution from fallen electric cable

Weeks after the sad death of a resident of Ikorodu community, Muibat Odubote following burns sustained from a fallen electric cable, another victim has died of the same fate in Surulere community, Lagos Mainland.

According to reports, the victim, Fausat Amole died after she got electrocuted by a high tension wire that fell from an electricity pole in Shofolahan, Ijeshatedo, Surulere, Lagos Mainland.

As a result of her death, her family has demanded justice stressing that the incident occurred as a result of the negligence by Electricity Distribution Company (EKEDC), the power distribution company servicing the area.

Punch reported based on eyewitness accounts that  joined high tension wires, which sparked for few minutes, caused tension in the area. The force of the spark separated the wires, one of which fell on a container being used as a shop where the victim was resting at the time of incident.

A fashion designer in the area, Joy John, told Punch that the current on the fallen wire, which was passed onto the container, electrocuted Fausat, who was said to be sleeping inside the container that she was using as a shop for her local herbs business.

“The incident happened around noon on Sunday, January 20, 2019. I was inside the shop when I saw the high tension wires sparking and burning on the pole. As they were burning, one of the wires fell and landed on Fausat’s container. She was sleeping inside the container when the wire fell on it. She was electrocuted instantly,” the source said.

He added that; “A lady, who was also sitting beside Fausat’s shop, was also electrocuted, but she survived. Some minutes after the wire fell, there was an outage, but the damage had already been done. It was when there was power outage that we were able to rescue the other lady, who had fainted; she started breathing later on and we gave her milk. But it was too late to rescue Fausat.

“In fact, we rushed her to a private hospital, where she was rejected, and later we were told to rush her to the Randle General Hospital. When we got there, we were told that she had died.”

Meanwhile, the husband of the deceased, Wasiu, said Fausat’s death was due to the negligence of the Eko Electricity Distribution Company, adding that if the wires had not been joined, the events that led to the death of his wife would have been averted.

The victim, Fausat Amole

In his words; “I am saddened by my wife’s death. I was at a client’s place in Ikotun when I received a call that my wife got electrocuted. At first, I disregarded the news and put a call through to another person, who confirmed the incident. I immediately left what I was doing and went straight to her shop. When I got there, I was told that she gave up on the way to the Randle General Hospital.

“The wire that fell on my wife’s container was joined with others on the pole and when the wires sparked, they cut where they were joined together. If the EKEDC had used a direct wire instead of joining wires together, my wife would still be alive, because the wire would not cut into two. So, the fault is that of those in charge of electricity supply.

“The family and I have taken her remains to her building site in the Ifo area of Ogun State, where she was buried. We have also informed her aged parents; I really don’t know how I am going to take care of my children alone.”

Responding to queries about the incident, the Public Relations Officer, EKEDC, Victor Nwihim, said investigation into the events that led to the death of Fausat was ongoing, adding that an official statement would be made when the facts of the incident had been ascertained.

“We have to do our own investigation and come to our own conclusion before I can talk to you. The wire fell, yes; we know that the wire fell. What happened? Why did it fall? Was there a fault? What caused it? These are the things that need to be determined before we can make a statement,” he said.

He added that; “So, I am not going to make a statement without getting the facts; that is not how it works. This matter happened on Sunday, but we have been on it since Monday, so by tomorrow or latest Friday, we should have a report.”

Comments

comments

Idris Aina
Idris is a media and communications professional with keen attention to details. An entertainment enthusiast, he is an ardent fan of the team from the Red Side of Manchester with love for football banters. He tweets with the handle @arlomah.
http://insidemainland.com