Following the tragic accident that claimed the lives of residents at the Ojuelegba end of Lagos Mainland on Tuesday, June 19, 2018, the Lagos State Government has ordered trucks to desist from passing through the bridge henceforth.
Commenting on the development, the Lagos State Commissioner for Transport, Mr. Ladi Lawanson, said the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) had been ordered to deploy officials in the Ojuelegba Bridge area to ensure prompt implementation of the instruction.
Lawanson, who was with the Chief Executive Officer of LASTMA, Chris Olakpe, spoke during a visit to the accident scene on yesterday, Wednesday, June 20, 2018.
In his words: “We have a directive from His Excellency, Akinwunmi Ambode, to come here for a firsthand assessment of the unfortunate incident that happened last night where we learnt that a container carrying trailer de-strapped from the bridge and the container crushed vehicles, with some innocent people suffering varying degrees of injury and unfortunately, we lost three lives.
“We have spoken to members of the community who have been in contact with us since morning and we understand that the way forward is to prevent this from happening in the future because these are three lives too many that we have lost to this incident, which is clearly avoidable.”
Lawanson also urged the Nigerian Port Authority to help the state government in ensuring that trucks used the right equipment to lash down whatever goods they were conveying.
Also commenting, Chief Executive Officer of LASTMA, Chris Olakpe, said the directive for officials of the agency to be deployed in the area would be carried out immediately.