In the aftermath of the inferno that razed shops and stalls in Jankara market in the Ojokoro Local Council Development Area, on Sunday, September 10, 2017, the council chairman, Hon. Hammed Idowu Tijani, has urged shop owners as well as artisans operating in the area to take precautionary measures to prevent a reoccurrence.
The council boss made the disclosure during his visit to the scene where wares worth millions of naira were razed as a result of faulty electric cables which led to the fire incident.
Hon. Tijani who called for vigilance among the artisans disclosed that he could not imagine the degree of damage the inferno did on the market.
“I am still in shock with the level of damages I have seen so far,” he said. He continued saying “I got the distress call and immediately I called the fire service and police control room for prompt security of lives and properties.
“I want our people to be more cautious of their business and be their brother’s keeper. In events like this, we need to be mindful of our properties. People should desist from keeping things that can aid fire outburst of this nature on while out of the offices and workshops. We should endeavour to put off all electrical appliances when not in use.”
In sympathizing with businesses owners who lost properties to the inferno, the council boss said “I feel for those whose businesses have been affected by the outbreak. As a government, we will continue to sensitise our people on the safety precautions and preventions.”
InsideMainland learnt that the outbreak which rocked the market started around 4:00pm on Sunday when most of the artisans were away from the market. The situation was however controlled due to the quick intervention of the Emergency Response Team of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) and Lagos State Fire Service.