Home > Top Stories > Exclusive: How Police caught the mastermind of Ikorodu deadly attack

Exclusive: How Police caught the mastermind of Ikorodu deadly attack

Few days after the dark Sunday in Yewa-Isawo community, Ikorodu, where five policemen and two soldiers lost their lives to deadly militant attacks, the master-minder of the attack, Endurance Ominisan better known as Mighty, has been killed in a recent operation by security operatives deployed into the axis.

InsideMainland gathered that the operatives deployed to the area on the orders of the IGP Ibrahim Idris, busted a building located at 20, Joel Adebolu Street, Ibeshe-Ikorodu, following a tip off that a notorious kidnapper and member of the militant group, Endurance Ominisan, was in an apartment in the building.

As a result, the officers mobilized to the scene and cordoned off the area in other to effectively discharge their duties.

It was learnt that the deceased passed away as a result of gun shot wounds sustained during the gun battle with the security officers on Sunday, April 16, 2017.

A resident, Alhaja Sefinat told InsideMainland that “the guy came into the apartment to see a lady, Ruth, purported to be his girlfriend. The Police surrounded the building and there was shooting for few minutes before they entered into the building to take his body. The officers left the area after picking his body. During the operation, I thought the Police were after a member of the serial killer group, Badoo. It was after the operation that we were told by the community leader that they trailed a notorious militant to the area.”

Another account has it that the security officers stormed the area in response to the deadly attacks carried out by militants and kidnappers in Isawo and other axes of Ikorodu.

A source who identified himself simply as Yekini said “the Police trailed the guy to the area before they busted him in that building. We were told that the guy hid in the roof of the house and fired shots from there while trying to figure out his escape. The Police surrounded the building and also fired gun shots before entering the house to bring out his body. During that period, we had to run for safety because the shooting continued for minutes and we needed to secure ourselves to avoid been caught in the crossfire.”

When asked if he was aware the deceased came to visit his girlfriend, the source replied swiftly saying “I don’t know much about that. I heard during the raid that he came to see someone but I can’t confirm if the person is male or female.”     

Meanwhile, it was gathered that Mighty who suffered gun wounds during the operation was rushed to the General Hospital Ikorodu where he was later confirmed dead.

Also, the Police recovered a pistol used by the deceased during the operation.

Furthermore, efforts to discover the identity of the person he visited prior to the raid proved futile. When our correspondent visited the house, the apartment was under lock and key.

A resident identified as Daddy Peace avoided comment saying “the landlord doesn’t reside in the area. You can reach the Police for comments because I wasn’t home when it happened.”

However, some residents of Woodland Estate, Yewa – Isawo, are yet to return home more than one week after the deadly attacks that rocked the area. When our correspondent visited the area today, the area barely had activities as most residents had fled the area due to the recent attacks.

Speaking to InsideMainland, the CDC Chairman of Ikorodu West, Alhaja Kudirat Olukoga said, “it is expected that people would flee their homes for safety purposes. We will continue to pray that peace returns to the area so everyone can return to their various homes.”



Idris Aina
Idris is a media and communications professional with keen attention to details. An entertainment enthusiast, he is an ardent fan of the team from the Red Side of Manchester with love for football banters. He tweets with the handle @arlomah.