The University of Lagos (UNLAG) community has been rocked with the news of the death of two students of the institution. The victims – Roli Odogwu, a 200-Level Mass Communication student, and Linda Elegeonye, a 300-Level Law student – reportedly died of burns, days after they were trapped in the hotel room where they were guests.
According to reports, the students until their death were residents of Fagunwa Hall.
The Nation reported that the campus to attend an evening event off-campus. When it dawned on them that they could not return to the campus late in the night, they reportedly lodged in the hotel to pass the night.
The late Roli’s friend, who did not want to be named, said she spoke to her mother to inform her of her decision to pass the night in the hotel.
The victims were asleep when the inferno started from a faulty air conditioner, The Nation reports. They were reportedly trapped for several minutes before they were rescued from the room sustaining first-degree burns. They were however rushed to Gbagada General Hospital for medical care.
One of the students, Roli reportedly died around 4am and was buried at Atan Cemetery in Yaba. The other victim, Linda, who had been in coma for six days, also passed on penultimate Sunday, The Nation reports.
Narrating the events leading to their deaths, a friend of the students who craved anonymity said: “The policeman told me that the owner of the phone (Roli) and her friend were involved in a fire accident and they were unconscious. I was told they had been moved to Trauma and Burns Unit of the Gbagada General Hospital. I informed other friends and we went to the hospital. When we got there, we were not allowed to see them immediately. Three hours after, we were allowed in with their parents and other family members.
“Roli was conscious and responding to treatment, but Linda was still in a coma. The burns were severe and we hoped both could make it. We are deeply hurt by their death.”