Home > My Area > Must Read! Why this part of Ketu was demolished for the third time in 7 months

Must Read! Why this part of Ketu was demolished for the third time in 7 months

In what could be termed as a continuous assault in military parlance, an ongoing construction of sets of lock-up shops in Ketu Alapere garage was demolished for the third time in seven months by the Lagos State Government on Tuesday, February 7, 2017.

The construction which was brought down by the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) and supervised by officers of the Lagos Task Force team in the early hours of Tuesday morning before workers on the site arrived the location.

InsideMainland gathered that the construction was first demolished in August 2016 when still in its foundation stages. The demolition was followed by a visit by the Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode few weeks later, InsideMainland learnt.

Furthermore, the building which occupies part of the Ketu-Alapere pedestrian bridge was demolished for the second time in November 2015. This time, the contractors had already moved past the foundation stages.

A source who preferred anonymity told InsideMainland “the workers returned to site after the first demolition and the rush to complete the construction was noticed in their work. After a while, they had finished the foundation and raised the blocks to about 5 coaches before the government officers returned to demolish the place again.”

“This time, it was noticed by residents that the Agboyi Ketu LCDA had nothing to do with the demolition because those involved were from the Task Force in Alausa. They came with armed officers to ensure that the building was demolished the second time,” the source added.

While speaking on the demolition on Tuesday, he said, “it wasn’t a surprise anymore because it was the third time the structure will be demolished in 7 months.”

Unconfirmed reports however revealed that the person financing the construction is a building developer who intends to build the shops and give out to interested occupants only on a one-off selling package upon completion.

It was also gathered that the government had warned the person who is constructing the site but construction workers would return to site to start from the scratch each time the building was demolished.

Presently, the only thing left on site of the construction is the debris demolition exercise. However, commercial bus operators use part of the land for garage purposes.

Comments

comments

Idris Aina
Idris is a media and communications professional with keen attention to details. An entertainment enthusiast, he is an ardent fan of the team from the Red Side of Manchester with love for football banters. He tweets with the handle @arlomah.
http://insidemainland.com